Professor Cole Harvey is seeking to hire two undergraduate research assistants, using grant funding awarded by Oklahoma Humanities and OSU, to assist with research using political newspaper articles from early post-Soviet Russia. Each position pays well, provides an opportunity to participate in original research, and can be performed remotely on flexible hours. Students interested in pursuing independent research–such as an honors thesis–may also use the materials for their own work if desired (with permission). The goal of the project is to convert scanned images of newspaper articles from the Hoover Archives into computer-readable text, so that they can be studied using statistical tools.
Time commitment: 90 hours total per RA (average expected time commitment is 15 hours per week across six weeks)
- Follow instructions to use image-editing software and pre-written computer code to convert the image into text.
- Check the text and flag for errors
- Save the results and submit to Dr. Harvey
- Oklahoma State University undergraduate
- Strong attention to detail
- Access to a computer and internet connection
- Knowledge of Russian language strongly preferred
- Knowledge of RStudio
How to apply
Interested candidates should send an email to Prof. Harvey at firstname.lastname@example.org, stating their interest in the position. Please include the following information: 1) year in school (e.g. sophomore, junior, etc.), 2) GPA, 3) level of knowledge of Russian language, 4) any experience with R or RStudio.
Priority deadline to apply: March 31, 2021